A group of us met up over lunch to test ATbar on a series of portable devices. This was very much a ‘beta’ testing session with critical friends. We filled in a test form and the results were analysed.
Some problems still need to be resolved namely:
- size of icons on smart phones
- selecting text for text to speech – Samsung Galaxy with Honeycomb does not work
- exiting ATbar does not necessarily mean the speech stops
- Windows tablet using Chrome does not allow for zoom by stretch and pinch
- iPad with Safari seems to produce variable results, in particular with text highlighting
- highlighting text for text to speech is not easy
It is clear that the only way ATbar can work with mobile web browsers is to have the toolbar embedded in the website’s code. It cannot be added to mobile browsers as a bookmarklet. If the toolbar is embedded the toolbar will load as it does on a desktop browser offering coloured overlays, text to speech and other text enhancements and accessibility options.