Category Archives: Agenda for Meeting

Meeting 10/11th March – Minutes with Agenda included

So  much seems to have happened during the two days of meetings that it is going to be hard to put it into one blog so I am going to divide it up by topics with reflection on the discussions as I go.   The delay in putting up the minutes has been due travelling to the USA in between and learning more about open innovation whilst at a disability conference.


Thursday 10th March began with Ross providing an overview of OSS Watch Openness Rating with a set of slides that included suggestions for how projects can be evaluated for their majurity. (Download PowerPoint slides titled Openness Rating as a Guide to Project Maturity)

This was incredibly helpful as it enabled us to discuss the various elements that needed to be in place in order to engage a community and provide sufficient information for a project to gain traction as well as possibly find a way to be sustainable.

This was followed by examples of how far three of us got along the route of openness using three different case studies.

Case Studies

Used the Openness rating at

Taken from slides

Peter went through the whole process and was able to show the elements of the Openness Rating that would be important to a new comer to the site.  It also enabled us to discuss the important areas that required more guidance as to what someone putting up a project might need.  This was later illustrated when Garry Paxton (on the Advisory Group) began the process with ‘Picboard’ and sent us an e-mail with queries such as ‘needing more feedback’ and ‘where to go to next’?  The Incubator has a number of full and basic requirements that still need to be added.

  • EA – Atbar goes East – SME wishing to take it forward.  Here the idea was that a company may take over the toolbar and wish to make money from it – which licence would be best?  Once again the questions became more complex and it was clear we needed to add some items to the community and governance documentation to clarify items.
  • Steve – MAAVIS – expert developer explained how he had taken the project through the process and how the community was now developing as can be seen from the MAAVIS website.

Steve explained how

●The Openness Rating is a metric
●Guides mentoring – not primary a self-service tool
●Used repeatedly (cf OSS Watch support plan)
●Measures current  status
●Allow gaps to be identified and addressed
Questions for the next section…

●What else do we need to do with REALISE and ATBar  to make a good fit with the Community Explorer and Licence Evaluator?
●How do we use the Openness Rating to guide mentoring and complete the first cycle with present projects?
●How do we facilitate effective mentoring?

Agenda for January 14th, 2011 Skype meeting.

The year has begun with a continued discussion on our Google group around the development of the REALISE Market Place linking with the minutes of the last meeting, alongside ideas for long term sustainability within the Mozilla Drumbeat Community.


  • Apologies
  • Minutes from last meeting
  • JISC Interim report
  • AAATE paper
  • Market place and plans for Phase 4
  • AOB
  • Next meeting

AAATE and RAATE 2010 – Agenda for 1st December meeting.

It is perhaps not surprising that when workshops occur between technology developers, professional AT folk and users that some of the same themes appear when discussing open source assistive technology softeware.  This seems to have been the case during the two recent AT conferences as the main topics seemed to be around licencing, IP, funding and maintenance leading to the success or not of certain types of business models.

Three members of the team ran workshops at AAATE and RAATE 2010 around the concepts of open innovation and AT software  and REALISE.  Ross Gardler from OSSWatch also discussed with a group of University of Southampton MSc students, some of the issues around licensing related to the REALISE project and open source.

Key points that came out of all the discussions that need to be taken forward to the Advisory Group meeting and workshop.

  • Try and connect tools that already exist including finding out existing projects
  • Focus on people rather than tools and keep the language around Assistive Technology easy to understand.
  • Keep it simple so tools don’t get in the way – in particular the online market place
  • Make use of Tags, vocabulary, icons, to aid navigation and searching.
  • Make sure users are engaged – A member of Scope offered beta testers/link up with D4D for trials of website.
  • Login – is it neceassary – via Linkedin? Facebook? Google, OpenID – lazy login, no login?
  • How do we link developers, business and users?
  • Is it important to have a separate AT community? Or to join mainstream communities?
  • Terminology for the main tabs…. Incubator works in Italian – incubator (for eggs, baby)  incubatrice  f Translation English – Italian Collins Dictionary
  • Timing of when an idea moves into the incubator remains uncertain but it was agreed a summary must be added when the move occurs
  • Link up with Drumbeat: similar but not focused on AT but with support from Mozilla

Advisory Group Meeting and Workshops for JISC REALISE Project

Wednesday 1st December 11am – 3.30pm

Learning Societies Lab – Access Grid Room – Level 3, Building 32, University of Southampton.  Map and Directions


Arrival from 10.30 onwards – Coffee/Tea and biscuits

11.00 – 11.30am Introduction to the day and REALISE Project – Dr Mike Wald and Dr Peter Cudd

11.30 – 1.00pm   Ross Gardler (OSSWatch) Licences and Business Models – Differentiation Tool

1.00 –2.00pm      Lunch and Advisory Group Meeting

2.00 – 3.30pm     Steve Lee (OSSWatch) Community Building and Governance Models – Differentiation Tool


Minutes from the REALISE Virtual meeting 25th August, 2010

Apologies from Ross

Minutes of previous meetings read with items signed off and actions taken forward.

Outstanding items not on the Agenda

  • JISC meetings with support and synthesis team

Sept 7th 2010 online Mike to attend organised by Simon Whitmore – Mike will relay news from the meeting. Action: MW

  • Ross will be attending Innovation meeting and to feedback to team
  • Ross will supply governance models for agreement by the team. Still to be actioned RG

Possible clarification needed from Ross and Rowan about ‘AT business model and licence differentiation tool’ Need to think about inviting Advisory Group, business community and JISC TechDis to interactive workshop on the subject – clarify time and days – I day workshop – 6 days work and one free.

Steve to supply ‘AT governance and community differentiation tool’ and may have a workshop with developers, professionals, JISC TechDis, carers and users.  Steve to provide estimate of days needed to complete this task. Action: SL

The work above should be linked to the REALISE project as well as client projects

  • RAATE Workshop –Accepted – need to work on paper and workshop Action All
  • Need to make a section for research – look at what other countries are doing – Peter has link to Harvard research on the subject, ? Australia.  Still to be Actioned ALL

  • Clear definition of what we mean by open innovation compared to the JISC BCE Open innovation (OI) Action PC if poss.

  • Need to engage with companies such as Sirius to see how we can help them and vice versa. _ Steve knows Mark Taylor CEO Action SL – discussed and care needed as to the specifics of this link up re: AT use in schools on a Linux platform.

Agenda Items

  • Southampton to confirm contractual agreements

David Woolley has sent an agreement for Sheffield.  Peter said that several universities have a standardised collaboration agreement and this includes Sheffield and Southampton and Barnsley Hospital have agreed (inc. D4D)

  • AAATE papers Action All to be completed as soon as possible.
  • Advisory Group accepted –  Mike Wald, Peter Cudd, Steve Lee, Ross Gardler, E.A. Draffan, Garry Paxton. Lester Gilbert, Gary Wills, Nasser Siabi, Clare Chiba, Mark Hawley. Action: EAD and MW to write email of thanks, terms of reference – invite to project realise mail list.
  • Possibly make this a virtual meeting and ask the Advisory Group to the workshops planned by Ross and Steve. Possibly 15/16th and following weeks in Sept set up on Action: EAD
  • Project Web Site – logo design

Logo drawn -EA thanked Joe from LSL for help – it was accepted – Steve provided Website requirements analysis for phase 1. This did not include full functional specification but made reference to ATIB database and other features.

  • Evaluation methods for the site and logging etc.

Discussed the various services tested and agreed to continue with Linkedin API development – future criteria based on present analysis.  Discussed evaluation of various open source evaluation tools for logging, usage and user satisfaction with site.  Steve felt we may have been a bit hard on the Drupal system. (Comment added see evaluation) EAD to take forward.

  • Website initial requirements – fields for idea generation – Title, Summary (limited character count 100), Longer Description (free field), minimal category of AT (need to be able to choose multiple categories) – allow for a category to be added by user. Always ability to hide or remove their own ideas.  – More ideas to be sent to team. Need to be able to search other websites for open source ATs. Action: Provide sample framework – Soton team for further discussion.
  • AOB – Need to explore future opportunities for funding to ensure sustainability. Action: All
  • Date of next Meeting:  Start Skype meeting for team early 15-16th Sept and other dates to be put on Action: EAD

Agenda for REALISE meeting, 26th July, 2010

REALISE meeting 26st July 2010, 10.30 – 15.30

Turing Room, Oxford University Computing Services, 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN, UK map tel: 01865 283416 Park and Ride

Attendees : Peter Cudd, Steve Lee, Ross Gardner, Mike Wald, EA Draffan,

Items for agenda

• Minutes of previous meetings and those items that can be signed off

• Project Plan – Work packages on website

• Project Web Page on JISC Web Site • Project Web Site – logo design, Forum – Mailing list etc

• Consortium Agreement

• Advisory group Membership

• Links with D4D and ATIB with overview from Peter

• Initial version of REALISE online marketplace following a Co-design meeting to specify essential and desired requirements • Consultancy Requirements/plan/milestones

• Participative stakeholder blog

• AAATE 2010 sessions

• RAATE 2010 Workshop

• A.O.B.

• Date of next F2F meeting and use of technology for interim meetings