Category Archives: Minutes of Meetings

REALISE Transferability Workshop

building 32

©2010 François-Xavier Beckers (CC-BY)

The Realise project held its Transferability Workshop on June 7th at the University of Southampton in Building 32.  Thirty brave souls, all experts in their own fields accepted our invitation. (Word doc download) We are incredibly grateful for their time and energy as the day was spent discussing elements of the REALISE market place, its use, community involvement and improvements that could be made to ensure its sustainability.  There were five groups of six, each table taking on different ideas with the notion that they could become open innovation projects thanks to community involvement, mentoring and online guidance.  But what of the transferability!

“Transferability refers to the degree to which the results of qualitative research can be generalized or transferred to other contexts or settings.” (Research Methods Knowledge Base)  With this in mind those attending the workshop came from different sectors of both education and health with links to assistive technology (AT).  Experts came from the two regions of Southampton and Sheffield as well as other parts of the country.  There were several individuals from other universities and organisations already involved with open innovation projects such as the JISC funded ‘Rave in Context‘ (Oxford University) and the Widget Design Authoring Toolkit (WIDGaT) (Teeside University).  Plus those from three companies who are members of the British Assistive Technology Association with developers from the NHS, education and business such as TDM

Attendees came from Devices for Dignity who have been involved with the project from the outset along with colleagues from Sheffield 50+ and REMAP (Southampton) and Paxton Crafts Charitable Trust providing the open source Straight Street Mulberry symbol system added their user knowledge to the discussions.  Our critical friend Nigel Spencer from the British Library mentioned his EU funded Open innovation project about ‘Working with others to make new ideas fly’ and Andy Heath brought his experience of the EU4ALL project to the table.

sound levels

Thanks to Deafness Research UK

The discussions topped the 100 decibel level at times and the team had to keep a strong handle on the time table to allow for a few speaking slots!  Punam Khosla from TechDis talked about her BCE and Stakeholder work and ACUMEN work with small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs), which was mentioned at our last Support and Synthesis group meeting. Dr Nasser Siabi as CEO of MicrolinkPC talked about his work with open source tools in South Africa and the transfer of applications such as ATbar to other sectors such as employment and charitable organisations e.g.  Fix the Web.

The team also had the support of two researchers to collect data and recordings of the hands-on sessions around ideas, incubation and projects which each ended with a little form filling to provide feedback. Points of importance were mentioned in whispered tones by Will Allen to some us seeking advice and networking was well underway in the intervals. The plan for the day, questionnaires plus results were made available on paper and as a set of slides (download .ppt) at the end of the day. We have to thank Peter Cudd for this output, Lauren for organising all the food plus all those who came from near and far to make it an amazingly useful day for us all. Thank you very much.

Meeting 10/11th March – Minutes with Agenda included

So  much seems to have happened during the two days of meetings that it is going to be hard to put it into one blog so I am going to divide it up by topics with reflection on the discussions as I go.   The delay in putting up the minutes has been due travelling to the USA in between and learning more about open innovation whilst at a disability conference.


Thursday 10th March began with Ross providing an overview of OSS Watch Openness Rating with a set of slides that included suggestions for how projects can be evaluated for their majurity. (Download PowerPoint slides titled Openness Rating as a Guide to Project Maturity)

This was incredibly helpful as it enabled us to discuss the various elements that needed to be in place in order to engage a community and provide sufficient information for a project to gain traction as well as possibly find a way to be sustainable.

This was followed by examples of how far three of us got along the route of openness using three different case studies.

Case Studies

Used the Openness rating at

Taken from slides

Peter went through the whole process and was able to show the elements of the Openness Rating that would be important to a new comer to the site.  It also enabled us to discuss the important areas that required more guidance as to what someone putting up a project might need.  This was later illustrated when Garry Paxton (on the Advisory Group) began the process with ‘Picboard’ and sent us an e-mail with queries such as ‘needing more feedback’ and ‘where to go to next’?  The Incubator has a number of full and basic requirements that still need to be added.

  • EA – Atbar goes East – SME wishing to take it forward.  Here the idea was that a company may take over the toolbar and wish to make money from it – which licence would be best?  Once again the questions became more complex and it was clear we needed to add some items to the community and governance documentation to clarify items.
  • Steve – MAAVIS – expert developer explained how he had taken the project through the process and how the community was now developing as can be seen from the MAAVIS website.

Steve explained how

●The Openness Rating is a metric
●Guides mentoring – not primary a self-service tool
●Used repeatedly (cf OSS Watch support plan)
●Measures current  status
●Allow gaps to be identified and addressed
Questions for the next section…

●What else do we need to do with REALISE and ATBar  to make a good fit with the Community Explorer and Licence Evaluator?
●How do we use the Openness Rating to guide mentoring and complete the first cycle with present projects?
●How do we facilitate effective mentoring?

Minutes from the Skype team meeting 14th January, 2011

This meeting aimed to resolve the issues discussed in December and to allow us to move from phase three of the project to phase four in the coming months.

  • Apologies

There were no apologies for this meeting and Peter, Mike, Seb and E.A began the discussions and were later joined by Steve and Ross so the agenda switch around a little.

  • Minutes from last meeting –

These were discussed in relation to the other agenda items.

  • JISC Interim report

This was discussed and has now been filled in on-line.

  • AAATE paper

Peter to start and lead on paper for AAATE with the rest of the team contributing. Paper will be based on the Realise team discussions.

  • Market place and plans for Phase 4

This formed the major part of the discussion and related to the meeting held in December with the Advisory Group.

Batacuda screenshot

realise web page

Market Place

Drumbeat and Batacuda
Phase 3  to Phase 4 of the REALISE project requires that we make the marketplace available to the community very soon and Batacuda/Drumbeat is currently really not realistically able to satisfy all the requirements mentioned below in the next two months. We have found that as Drumbeat has so many projects it can be slow to navigate, the tagging system is huge which makes it hard to navigate when using screen reader software and there do not appear to be any search features. We will continue to monitor the situation as we really want to collaborate with the community as one of the possible ways we may achieve sustainability of the project.

New features required in the release version are:

  • Logins with more social networks plus picture log in from MAAVIS
  • 5 checks for moving between idea to incubator then 5 checks to move to project with a button to move to each stage.
  • Change the front page to have the content seen when logged in plus an easy to read explanatory paragraph – Peter and EA
  • Link Steve and Ross toolkits from Incubator.
  • Tagging related to what is available on EmpTech and include ‘other’
  • Button to show what open source software is available and link tags so just show what relates to the actual idea or project added to the market place.
  • Resources Tab – this will contain links to documents and sites that are useful to stakeholders.

Prepare for phase 4

Connection with users and businesses – need a user friendly article for AbilityNet and general publicity – Peter and EA to collaborate.

Great Oaks school teaching assistants therapists. SCOPE, BBC OUCH, University of 3rd Age and UK Online centres,  Sheffield 50plus users and Remap contact and D4D

Forum lists SENIT, Disforum, Assistech etc once article in AbilityNet is available.

  • Next meeting

Skype call – 2.00 p.m. 23rd February, 2011

Update and Minutes taken from the Advisory Group Meeting

snow on pondThe weather around the country did not prevent the members of the REALISE team meeting in Southampton – luck was on our side that it was on 1st Dec and not the 2nd! This is the view from my kitchen this morning!

We were also lucky to have Lester Gilbert, Gary Wills and Nasser Siabi as CEO of MicrolinkPC,a company supplying and supporting users of Assistive Technologies and Mike Littler to represent assessors of Assistive Technology.  Apologies were received from Garry Paxton, Clare Chiba, Prof. Mark Hawley and Prof Lynn Martin.

Peter Cudd presented an overview of the project (PowerPoint video) and this complements the overview provided by Mike Wald at the Support and Synthesis meeting (video and notes) on 12th November, 2010.  This was follwed by Ross Gardler’s workshop launching the online OSSWatch licencing differentiator tool that is designed to aid developers when making choices about the licencing of open source software.  This is a very complex subject, but it is now possible to learn how to make a more informed choice as a result of working through a series of questions with explanations to guide the user.  Ross is keen for a further discussion to take place around this online tool which is one of the outcomes for the REALISE project. Please use this blog for comments or our Project-Realise Google group

One of the discussion points over lunch was to try to embed this Google group within our website – this is the REALISE market place for future ideas, project incubation and spin offs.

Again feedback is needed for this part of the project in the spirit of co-design and open innovation! Everyone is welcome to contribute.

As timings for the day went a little awry lunch was taken up with further discussion around the differentiator tool and then Steve Lee presented his online Community Explorer tool. This is once again in draft mode and we are sharing this so that everyone can see how the market place will contain some really useful tools for users.   More advice will be added to this tool in the future with pointers being available from Steve’s discussion today around Community and Governance (video with Synote transcription) with a few remaining MSc students at the University of Soutampton before the university closed for the day.

As for the key points mentioned in the previous blog:

  • Try and connect tools that already exist including finding out existing projects

The tools mentioned once again included Mozilla Drumbeat Barracuda and on Monday at RAATE several other sites were mentioned including  Kickstarter, Donationcoder and specifically for ideas around AT there is Enabled by Design just for starters. This all ties up with our wish to “Keep it simple so tools don’t get in the way – in particular the online market place”

  • Focus on people rather than tools and keep the language around Assistive Technology easy to understand

Peter mentioned this in his discussion with links to Devices for Dignity and by the end of the day Ross pointed out how important it will be to engage through carers and assessors as they may lead us to more ideas from users as well as linking up with charities and other organisations.

  • Login – is it neceassary – via Linkedin? Facebook? Google, OpenID – lazy login, no login?

The debate continues as to whether a login is really necessary and at what stage – at present – we may have to have a poll on this one but the preference is to leave it all as open as possible.

  • How do we link developers, business and users?

By the end of the afternoon it was clear that we could have a case study of a particular group to illustrate how business can be linked to the carers and assessors and so to the users with the support of Nasser and MicrolinkPC with Mike Littler. It would be good to have other examples of how this open innovation could work.

  • Is it important to have a separate AT community? Or to join mainstream communities?

This quandary was clearly illustrated in a BBC news item this morning about mainstream technologies being used with disabled individuals to provide independence.

  • Terminology for the main tabs…. Incubator works in Italian – incubator (for eggs, baby)  incubatrice  f Translation English – Italian Collins Dictionary

It became clear in the discussion that people may not have a notion around an ‘idea’ for a project or program but they would have a notion around a problem or need and that we need to offer examples and include this type of language on the initial pages for the Market place.

  • Timing of when an idea moves into the incubator remains uncertain but it was agreed a summary must be added when the move occurs

This was extended to the view that you could dip into the market place at any stage and there may even be commercial AT products that had been abandonned and could be revived under an open source banner.

The meeting ended early as the snow was threatening and is still continuing as I type this up!  Thank you so much to everyone who made it and we plan to have our next Advisory Group meeting when Spring has arrived!

snowy garden

Minutes from the REALISE Virtual meeting 25th August, 2010

Apologies from Ross

Minutes of previous meetings read with items signed off and actions taken forward.

Outstanding items not on the Agenda

  • JISC meetings with support and synthesis team

Sept 7th 2010 online Mike to attend organised by Simon Whitmore – Mike will relay news from the meeting. Action: MW

  • Ross will be attending Innovation meeting and to feedback to team
  • Ross will supply governance models for agreement by the team. Still to be actioned RG

Possible clarification needed from Ross and Rowan about ‘AT business model and licence differentiation tool’ Need to think about inviting Advisory Group, business community and JISC TechDis to interactive workshop on the subject – clarify time and days – I day workshop – 6 days work and one free.

Steve to supply ‘AT governance and community differentiation tool’ and may have a workshop with developers, professionals, JISC TechDis, carers and users.  Steve to provide estimate of days needed to complete this task. Action: SL

The work above should be linked to the REALISE project as well as client projects

  • RAATE Workshop –Accepted – need to work on paper and workshop Action All
  • Need to make a section for research – look at what other countries are doing – Peter has link to Harvard research on the subject, ? Australia.  Still to be Actioned ALL

  • Clear definition of what we mean by open innovation compared to the JISC BCE Open innovation (OI) Action PC if poss.

  • Need to engage with companies such as Sirius to see how we can help them and vice versa. _ Steve knows Mark Taylor CEO Action SL – discussed and care needed as to the specifics of this link up re: AT use in schools on a Linux platform.

Agenda Items

  • Southampton to confirm contractual agreements

David Woolley has sent an agreement for Sheffield.  Peter said that several universities have a standardised collaboration agreement and this includes Sheffield and Southampton and Barnsley Hospital have agreed (inc. D4D)

  • AAATE papers Action All to be completed as soon as possible.
  • Advisory Group accepted –  Mike Wald, Peter Cudd, Steve Lee, Ross Gardler, E.A. Draffan, Garry Paxton. Lester Gilbert, Gary Wills, Nasser Siabi, Clare Chiba, Mark Hawley. Action: EAD and MW to write email of thanks, terms of reference – invite to project realise mail list.
  • Possibly make this a virtual meeting and ask the Advisory Group to the workshops planned by Ross and Steve. Possibly 15/16th and following weeks in Sept set up on Action: EAD
  • Project Web Site – logo design

Logo drawn -EA thanked Joe from LSL for help – it was accepted – Steve provided Website requirements analysis for phase 1. This did not include full functional specification but made reference to ATIB database and other features.

  • Evaluation methods for the site and logging etc.

Discussed the various services tested and agreed to continue with Linkedin API development – future criteria based on present analysis.  Discussed evaluation of various open source evaluation tools for logging, usage and user satisfaction with site.  Steve felt we may have been a bit hard on the Drupal system. (Comment added see evaluation) EAD to take forward.

  • Website initial requirements – fields for idea generation – Title, Summary (limited character count 100), Longer Description (free field), minimal category of AT (need to be able to choose multiple categories) – allow for a category to be added by user. Always ability to hide or remove their own ideas.  – More ideas to be sent to team. Need to be able to search other websites for open source ATs. Action: Provide sample framework – Soton team for further discussion.
  • AOB – Need to explore future opportunities for funding to ensure sustainability. Action: All
  • Date of next Meeting:  Start Skype meeting for team early 15-16th Sept and other dates to be put on Action: EAD

Minutes for the REALISE meeting – 26th July 2010, 10.30 – 15.30

Location – Turing Room, Oxford University Computing Services, 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN, UK

Attendees : Peter Cudd, Steve Lee, Ross Gardler, Mike Wald, EA Draffan,


  • Minutes of previous meetings read with items signed off and actions taken forward.
  • Peter and E.A. to set out qualitative and quantative evaluation methods for the site and logging etc. Criteria still to be discussed Action PC and EAD
  • JISC meetings with support and synthesis team Ross will be attending Innovation meeting and to feedback to team – await news from synthesis group.
  • Mike W. to invite Mark Hawley, Lester Gilbert – still to be actioned MW and Peter to ask 50+ group for a representative, Ross to invite someone from Wikimedia, Nasser Siabi to be asked as a member of the business community, Ross to talk to Mark Pedley. Garry Paxton has accepted the invitation to be a member of the Advisory Group.
  • Advisory group – first meeting moved to September and the addition of a final AG meeting to respond to their views at the Dissemination Even in April 2011. Signed off
  • Southampton to confirm contractual agreements David Woolley has sent an agreement for Sheffield.
  • Ross will supply governance models for agreement by the team. Still to be actioned RG
  • Copyright issues that may arise with ATIB – no longer apply as evaluation showed that ATIB system not suitable for open AT innovation. Signed off.
  • Submission to RAATE – Mike Wald has written an abstract. Signed off awaiting result.
  • Set up RSS feed and Google Mailgroup – Signed off.
  • Put work packages on website and have sign off at the end of each meeting.  Work packages and project plan for JISC still to be actioned EAD
  • Project website – signed off – needs meeting calendar link
  • Brand Essence – Minuted thanks for this process – need to send letter of thanks to Liz Paxton for all her work still to be actioned EAD
  • Need to make a section for research – look at what other countries are doing – Peter has link to Harvard research on the subject, ? Australia.  Still to be Actioned ALL
  • Website URL – decision to go with – Signed off
  • Clear definition of what we mean by open innovation compared to the JISC BCE Open innovation (OI) Action PC if poss.
  • Need to engage with companies such as Sirius to see how we can help them and vice versa. _ Steve knows Mark Taylor CEO Action SL – discussed and care needed as to the specifics of this link up re: AT use in schools on a Linux platform.
  • PC will send us the PowerPoint for the minutes and any other appropriate materials for the research part of the project.  Still to be actioned PC
  • REALISE – the vision – some came of the Brand Essence meeting – key words Serendipity connecting inspiring  ” Realising Potential through Partnerships”
    • Project Plan – Work packages on website – Action MW and EAD to make draft based on template
    • Project Web Page on JISC Web Site – awaiting information from JISC.
    • Project Web Site – logo design, Forum – Mailing list – Action EAD Joe from ECS to develop ideas that will be shared with team
    • Consortium Agreement – see above
    • Advisory group Membership – See above
    • Links with D4D and ATIB with overview from Peter – PC to send slides

From Agenda 26/07/2010

Initial version of REALISE online marketplace following a Co-design meeting to specify essential and desired requirements –  Initial version of REALISE online marketplace following a Co-design meeting to specify essential and desired requirements –  Evaluate Drupal v A- tutor v My experiment and feedback to team Action EAD – PC to send specification for ATIB to aid planning of innovation broker (correction by SL)

  • Consultancy Requirements/plan/milestones – OSS Watch till Dec. 6 days to include AT Licence Differentiator and 1 day workshop Business models (7-12 attendees possibly with JISC TechDis support?). Steve Lee to be contracted for work on Governance and Community. Future work in following year? 4 paid days and 1 supported by JISC. Interim and final report. Action MW and EAD
  • Participative stakeholder blog – Part of innovations broker website
  • AAATE 2010 sessions – Ross to present AT and open source, other workshops by team require papers 2-4 pages long. Action All
  • RAATE 2010 Workshop – Action All workshop if accepted
  • A.O.B.
    • See above for evaluation of website and consider A-tutor etc.
    • Website design – see above for ECS support
    • Ross discussed – What roles do we have for users…
      • Innovator (needs exploitation)
      • Consumer of AT innovation
      • Gatekeepers to the end users – how do those who engage do it – find the process for those who do link with innovators and make diagram (action SL and PC)
      • Needs
        • Find innovations
        • Communicate needs – end user
        • Satisfy needs – end user and innovator.
  • Set up times for  Virtual Skype meeting –

Devices for Dignity meeting 22nd July, 2010

D4DDevices for Dignity website

  • Aim to alleviate loneliness
  • Enable independence
  • Maintain confidence
  • Enable personalised service

D4D core activities

  • Facilitation and teambuilding
  • Accelerating Evidence based technology development
  • Adoption and dissemination

Set up National Advisory Committee – network of national experts representing D4D major stakeholder gro9ups who will advise, review proposals, evaluate devices and disseminate output within their field of excellence.

Create expanded network.

What dignity means – focus groups and word cloud developed.

Wendy Tindale Clinical director and Nicola Heron D4D Programme manager.

Follows a generic device approach:

  • Identify unmet needs or potential solutions to unmet needs
  • Prioritise – is the problem worth solving… tap into experts in consortium to understand context of the problem.  Impact on NHS, patients and D4D are questioned when discussing projects.
  • Prototype
  • Evaluate
  • Acceptance
  • Support market surveillance.

Does Realise have the skills to do this? – may not be quite so hands on with endorsement etc.

D4D has become a key contact for industry and stakeholders with endorsement and getting to patients – 16 R&D projects, 5 grant submitted 8-12 potential projects.

D4D are delivering products, publications and web tools.

AT Theme – Zoe Robertson. Deputy Theme leader

Taking in software and hardware solutions for all disabilities – covering all stages with user involvement.

Had themes at the outset:

  • Aids for dignity and independence – Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield commode – Youtube D4D dignity commode – 200k regional innovation award – research nurse leading adoption campaign, choosing sites for evaluation, evaluate adoption.
  • Mobility
  • Paediatric transport chair – survey with rich data from free text – 10 key themes – Frazer Nash then took data and came up with 4 themes then had a focus group. Whizz Kids facilitated the day as users attended.
  • Communication – novel communication software, MAAVIS, Receptive language, stammering, AAC

Simon Judge presented on User’s perceptions of Communication Aid design.

  • Telehealth / telecare. – Very topical – research with older people but D4D has been looking at paediatric telehealth/telecare and progressive neurological conditions as well as renal issues. D4D being a bit more focussed compared to other sectors.

Peter Cudd presented ATIB – Assistive Technology Innovations Broker

  • Innovations Broker – All clusters feed into the innovation broker – developed to avoid new AT being developed only used once or not used, avoid duplicated effort in design and a need to share with stakeholders, innovators and users. There have been problems with development and some content has been ‘squeezed’?   But very important filters and choices for all those registering and those searching and wanting feedback. ATIB records all the communications. There are some issues with the ATIB such as accessibility, non-disclosure agreements, no opportunity to offer topics of interest, needs ways of dealing with guidance, IP and exploitation. Rewards for contributors? Piloting and feedback cycles.

D4D Development cycle has 3 development questions?

  • What is the need?
  • How can the needs be met?
  • How well are the needs met?

A cycle of iteration for decisions in the example given of a head brace.

  • Explore – clearer needs
  • Create – better solutions
  • Evaluate – stronger evidence that solutions are better.

The stakeholder meetings for the AT theme showed that there are challenges getting end users, it is important to establish safe environments for idea generation, less can be more – need time for reflection. Limited resources lead to a need to prioritise innovative ideas but massive commercialisation is not the only criteria.  Impact is important in all ways not just financial.  Need to increase the network and bring in more expertise to enhance D4D outcomes.

Realise could learn and link up with many of the ideas developed by D4D for innovative designs working with groups as well as possibly linking to some of the general content on ATIB that is open to all – But I feel there are real concerns as to how we persuade people to engage in something that will be very open and may not have clear lines for coping with IPR, patents etc.

Brand Essence exercise

7 July 2010, Skype, Attendees : EA Draffen (EAD), Garry Paxton (GP), Liz Paxton (LP), Peter Cudd (PC), Steve Lee (SL)

LP took us through a Brand Essence exercise to help us focus and encapsulate our conception of REALISE. This is designed to elicit our subject thoughts and the end product is 3 words encapsulating the essence possibly leading to a strap line and logo. LP introduced the concept and her prior experience with large well know alcoholic drinks brands. We all then embarked on a brainstorming session (thought-shower if you prefer). We considered

  • How we describe it
  • How it users feel
  • How it makes users ‘look’
  • What it does for users
  • Facts and Symbols
  • Brand Personality

The Empty brand essence wheel

[Action: All] complete Facts and symbols

[Action: LP] provide us with completed wheel including the points we identified

[Action: ALL] independently find 3 words for centre

Authors note: – a worthwhile exercise that made us focus on and discus our ambitions for the project. Complicated by having several user types, all with their own view of REALISE.

Other business

EA announced that GP has joined the REALISE advisory board.

Exeter meeting for ATIB Discussion – 01 July, 2010

Attendees : EA Draffen (EAD), Peter Cudd (PC), Steve Lee (SL)

Items from the agenda
· REALISE – the vision
Stakeholders are all those involved at all stages -innovators, entrepreneurs, end users, institutional users (? Needs refining), carers NGOs, information providers, decision makers for funding etc,  – send message round to group to see who else should be on the list. Action All

Viewed PC’s PowerPoint – to see differences and similarities between ATIB and REALISE – Peter has suggested that this list is kept up to date as we go through the project.  PC will send us the PowerPoint for the minutes and any other appropriate materials for the research part of the project Action PC

Need to be thinking about how we will sustain and facilitate

1. Persuade some AT businesses and researchers that Open innovation is the way to go- and get them started

Discussed links with other sites that facilitate the sharing of open source software – such as OATS – Steve to explore possible links to the consortium, Action SL

• Need to think about Education, health, access to work and daily living.

Login – passwords – open access – accessibility.

Need to engage with companies such as Sirius to see how we can help them and vice versa. _ Steve knows Mark Taylor CEO Action SL

Need to engage REALISE users – may have to go to other forums such as BBC Ouch and Yourable – need to feel there is a reward for using the database. How do we sustain the collaborative nature of the site?  Action ALL

Need to engage with AEGIS, ACE Centre and SUS-IT – Loughborough and Dundee. Action ALL

Website URL may not work so well with search engines – Peter and Steve advised use of .org to make it more global – so need to think about name, Action ALL

Clear definition of what we mean by open innovation compared to the JISC BCE Open innovation (OI)

Need to make a section for research – look at what other countries are doing – Peter has link to Harvard research on the subject, ? Australia.  Action ALL

Get quote from minister about open source etc Action EAD

Sustainability – may need to pay a administrator to deal with day to day work and to make sure some people are willing to maintain the community. People need to feel they can make a difference – about “shaping and influencing the future – give value to their contribution. ” (Paxton, G)  Every time there is an update – send it out an email to say about the new product or communication. – people log-in and there is a check box to ask if they want to receive further communication.

Brand Essence – Mrs Paxton with Garry Paxton of
Paxtoncrafts Charitable Trust – Skype whiteboard session – Time to be discussed – to get a logo – kite mark as a process to help sustainability – standards… guidelines.   Try to offer some legal advisors to advise on open source innovation – University of Manchester legal dept on open source (Steve)  Action SL and EAD

Also discussed with Garry Paxton as a possible stakeholder – a producer/developer and also a charity – He said he would join up as an individual and he told us about a Dutch developer who is working on a open source desktop application that will use Mulberry Symbols – he has translated them into Dutch. Case study.  Action EAD

Xerte – Julian Tenney – using Straight Street symbols in Xerte – enhances his own product – case study,

In-folio – Rix Centre with Catalyst hosting the server, university working on progression, 2 colleges working on it with John Sewell, JISC TechDis and colleges funding – case study.

· ATIB (+ other resources)

Peter has concerns about the REALISE project using the ATIB as it still needs to be refined and we need to move on quickly.   But we really liked many of the ideas presented and much of the guidance will be helpful for the future. Steve has offered to look at the TransferSummit website built using Drupal and to discuss with OSSWatch whether this open source project can be used by the REALISE project and developed to suit our needs. Action SL

Discussion about Southampton hosting a Drupal site with the code from TransferSummit.
Questions about Steve developing the website and costs…  Steve to add his network of ideas and collaborators,  Selecting and linking to OSSWatch content and advice etc  – Steve to confirm costs for website development with Mike W.  Action SL

Work with Devices for Dignity on what has been learnt from creating the ATIB and the issues that arose.  Ideally it would have been wonderful to have been able to use the actual database but some of the features are not suitable for the REALISE project.

Managing the relationship between REALISE and ATIB

The advice about  how we set up the database categories and other aspects from ATIB will be invaluable – disability versus task – needs that the product would address etc. – the problem is that if you just use task and say – difficulty picking up an object – you then have to ask why – you can’t see it or you do not have the dexterity or it is not within reach.  In the end you have the medical model winning with categories for seeing , hearing, cognitive, memory, communication.  – need to look at AskSara – may need to use phrases etc for a decision tree type set up. Action ALL

Need to be aware of the different vocabularies used by all the users from the technical to the therapist to the user. – need a set of terms available via ATIB. -possibly enter the database via the different roles. Action ALL

Managing/targeting the OSS Watch input (to maximise benefit to project, any scope for ‘ordinary project help’ to be within OSS Watch services to anyone)
There is a realisation that the most concerning issues around open source may be the licensing ones and these will need extra advice to provide clear guidance from OSSWatch – to be costed later – may need 2 days of Ross’s time (Steve) Action SL

AAATE workshop session- –
All must register to AAATE before August to be free…need to be authors. Discuss further on 26th July meetings. Action ALL

RAATE workshop – confim Mike to submit abstract – discuss actual workshop if accespted on 26th July. Action EAD

Role of OS/OI sessions (OSS Watch lead sessions) in AAATE workshop –

Immediate actions to prepare for July 26th meeting in Oxford – need time and place from RG.   Action ALL

Introductory Meeting held at the TransferSummit conference – 25 June, 2010

Thos was not a formal meeting but more a chance for Introductions between some team members.  Those Attending: Peter Cudd (PC), Ross Gardler (RG) EA Draffan (EAD) – Steve Lee (SL) was also at the conference.  Not attending – Mike Wald (MW)

It was decided that the initial website would be hosted by Univesity of Southampton.   – This is the Blog to hold minutes of meetings, updates, and that we needed to add a meeting calendar to website – link to Ross’s calendar. Meetomatic or other one   Put in dates for meetings Action EAD

Put work packages on website and have sign off at the end of each meeting.  –Action EAD

Set up RSS feed and Google Mailgroup Action EAD

Discussion around how we would work with open source projects – Individual projects will need their own communities – we need to bridge between these communities for REALISE  for example MAAVIS and Toolbar – need to explore how we get communities working in collaboration – Action All

One idea is a  F2F meeting before AATE 2010 (Oct 5th)   – brainstorming current state and future of the AT products or devices we have developed then have time evaluating the each one with stakeholders and key people inc. user organisations and businesses etc  The end process would be coping out the ideas with all members of the REALISE and those interested in open development.

Submission to RAATE needed ASAP – workshop – how to develop AT using an open innovation methodology.  This will be a practical workshop discussing the issues that surround your ideas for products that might be useful for disabled users. Mike Wald has already written an abstract for a possible presentation. Action MW, EAD and PC

Need to review the Devices for Dignity  (D4D)  Assistive Technology Innovations Broker (ATIB) database from a technical and accessibility point of view to make a decision as to whether this can be built on for the project – We need to comment on the changes that may be needed and is it ready for potential users – check content.  Action EAD, PC and SL

Peter will embed the questions we have as part of the evaluation of the suitability of the platform. This will be available in two weeks time.  Peter will confirm to the team when we have access to the database. Action PC

Peter mentioned that he has an update on the contract related to the ATIB – Sheffield Teaching Hosp and Barnsley Hosp and University of Sheffield have met and agreed that they are currently drawing up a contract to release ATIB to the REALISE consortium.  Considerations for the open development of the database have been discussed.  Ross asked if it could be made open source – it uses Joomla that may have an impact on the level of openness. Peter to verify any copyright issues that may arise with ATIB. Action PC

D4D’s view about the future of ATIB and REALISE is that essentially the goals for the two projects are not identical so initially the two project will co-exist and only towards the end of the REALSIE project will they possibly be co-joined – so there is a positive outcome with a sharing of learning by creating a single entity.   ATIB is designed to support all innovations not just open source and open innovation – users are allowed to have password protected areas to discuss code etc.

Mike W.  to produce consortium agreement with research and Innovations team at Sheffield (Justine Daniels).  Action MW

Ross will supply governance models for agreement by the team. Action RG

Southampton to confirm financial arrangements… Discuss with Ross about amount of time needed from OSS Watch and Steve L. Action MW

Advisory group – first meeting moved to September and the addition of a final AG meeting to respond to their views at the Dissemination Even in April 2011.

Mike W. to invite Mark Hawley, Gary Wills, Lester Gilbert, and the team plus a member of the Open Source Business community and a member from  each  community in Sheffield and Southampton.  Action MW

EA to find out about future JISC meetings with support and synthesis team Update JISC websites with information. Action EAD

Peter and E.A. to set out qualitative and quantative evaluation methods for the site and logging etc. Discussed idea of having open evaluation through mail groups Action PC and EAD

Peter, Steve and E.A, to meet on 1st July to initial introduction to ATIB and its philosophies followed by the review mentioned above. Action PC, SL and EAD

The first meeting between all team members will be held on 26th July in Oxford – Action Rooms to be arranged by RG

Mark Hawley will attend AATE meeting and advisory group meetings.