Dr. Mike Wald teaches a course called ‘Assistive Technologies and Universal Design’ which has some useful presentations by himself and other expert guest speakers. These presentations have been made available through Synote, the online annotation system. Synote is a web based application that allows you to create synchronised bookmarks or ‘Synmarks’ that can contain notes and tags synchronised with audio or video recordings, transcripts and slides/images and can be used to find and replay parts of the recordings.
The following shows what presentations are available along with a brief description about each one. Please follow the links below to access the presentations.
- Assistive Technologies and Universal Design Presentation 1 – Dr. Mike Wald – This lecture gives and introduction to the Assistive Technologies and Universal Design module at the University of Southampton. This lecture covers an introduction to the topic as well as some fundamental considerations about accessibility issues and the types of people that are affected by them.
- Assistive Technologies and Universal Design Presentation 2 – Dr. Mike Wald – This presentation is a continuation of the previous one, going into detail about assistive technologies and how accessibility helps all different types of people.
- Evaluating Accessibility/Usability of websites and software – E. A. Draffan & Russell Newman – This presentation covers how the accessibility and usability of websites and software is evaluated so that you may know how to improve these aspects.
- Guest Presentation from Microlink PC Ltd – Microlink are a company that build PC systems for users with disabilities.
- Web2Access and the Access Tools Flash Drive – E. A. Draffan, Seb Skuse & Russell Newman – This presentation covers some of the technologies that have been developed at the University of Southampton to help with Accessibility. The presentation is given by the team who developed these technologies.