The ECS Accessibility Team
Offering expertise in the field of accessibility, ease of use and learnability for the development of online resources.
The ECS Accessibility Team, as members of the Web and Internet Science Faculty at the University of Southampton, are a group of researchers and developers with considerable experience in the field of digital technologies in relation to personalisation, disability, assistive technology, elearning, mobile and Web 2.0 services.
Advice, guidance and development skills can be offered on many aspects of accessibility, use of assistive technologies and those supporting technologies that may be considered mainstream such as mobile devices, their applications and other online resources. Specialists in the team have experience with communication and disability related issues and the use of technology as well as the usability of applications and online services.
We have a proven track record in the design and development of accessible technologies as well as the provision of evaluations, support and advice regarding accessible teaching and learning materials, etexts and other technology based resources.
We offer the following services:
- Design and development: Accessible browser based plug-ins and online accessible applications.
- Mobile Technologies: Design and development of accessible mobile applications.
- Accessibility guidance and advice: Based on work related to BS8878 web accessibility and W3C WCAG 2.0 and other web accessibility guidelines.
- Evaluations: Web 2.0 and other online services reviewed for accessibility and usability.
- eTexts, elearning and accessibility: Advice related to document conversions for ease of reading and use in other formats.
- Workshops and conferences: Many years of experience in training and presentations on accessibility, disability and assistive technology.